Wednesday, July 18, 2007

I saw this and thought it did not quite describe it as if the writer had not actually experienced the trip to the top of the arch via the cat food can shaped 'tram' as they call it. I think the tram they talk about means all of the cars because you couldn't fit 40 people in one of those cars...not even in college.

Mind you, I traveled to the top of the arch (I have the certificate to prove it, complete with date, time and disposition of my mother, who would not have gone under circumstances less than my dad making her and me wanting to go up there) with my 6'6" 375 lb father, my mother, and two very intimidated people we found out were from Michigan as well, sometime during the trip up. I don't remember them sharing the fun with us at the top...I think they were grateful to be alive still.

For size reference in the picture, the orange rail there is a standard rail height (3.5' according to my sources). I don't believe I could stand up in the elevator today. Clearly, my dad sat in the seat you can see,illuminated by the indirect lighting, as Captain James T Kirk would have, had it been an escape pod in an episode of Star Trek (Although it felt more like Spock's casket/tomb thing from the Star Trek movie).

Anyway, here's a picture of what they were stuck in and the story (which was not accompanied by a picture) following my monologue in order to give you more respect for the people who were trapped there because as I stated previously, I don't think the writer of this story has been there.

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- About 200 people were trapped inside the 630-foot Gateway Arch for about two hours after an apparent power outage, authorities said.
The power went out around 8:45 p.m. Saturday, stalling two trams filled with about 40 people each, said Mike Maris, deputy superintendent of the Gateway Arch.
About 100 other people were stranded at the top of the monument of stainless steel, Maris said. He said the evacuation of the south tram, where one of nine cables may have broken, took about two hours.
Power eventually was restored to the north tram, and stranded visitors no longer had to use the stairs to evacuate, said Capt. Steve Simpson, a spokesman for the St. Louis Fire Department.
He said officials do not know what happened to the equipment.
Simpson said rescue crews treated two people. One was given oxygen and the other was diabetic.
He did not elaborate on their treatment.
"Everybody else seemed to be in good spirits, glad and relieved to be coming down," he said.
Anxious relatives stood outside the popular tourist attraction as rescuers worked inside. Dozens of emergency vehicles surrounded the arch.
Maris said the Arch would be open Sunday with only the north tram running.
The 630-foot-tall structure is operated by the National Park Service and opened in 1966.
It is one of the region's most popular attractions.


jills said...

i think that would be it for elevators for me.

amy said...

okay so maybe its because i've never seen this 'tourist attraction' but i don't think i would be going there. 2 hours in tight quarters with strangers?! i wouldn't take the risk. good luck to those who went on the reopening day.

nah.. I'll pass.

riggsfam said...

I would have definitely been feeling claustrophobic!