Tuesday, September 12, 2006






Back Yard Friends

I was out in the back yard harassing Gus the other day when I noticed not one, not two and not even three, but four Garden Spiders. They are really a lovely creature with their distinct and detailed markings on their backs and their perfect looking webs. I took Sage out to show them to her (no, I didn’t do it to scare her, she actually asked to go see them!) and we had walked out under our gazebo where the most obvious and largest one was. She was on my shoulders for a good view. She was looking for them as I was pointing to them and I knew the very second she saw one because she squeezed me and started trembling like crazy. She wasn’t crying or all freaked out per se but she definitely was not comfortable being that close up. I could tell she wanted to be so brave though. She wanted to see them and she still asks about them. Mom won’t take her out there for some reason though…

Can you spot the one in the tree? I saw him and he was ten feet up there...look closely and remember, you never know who's watching you from up above...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are those spiders dangerous? That is a pretty sweet web in the tree!

jim said...

There is a spider in the tree piture as well as a web...you might have to zoom in to see him initially but once you do, you'll be able to see him without...

Anonymous said...

I think it's terrible that you would expose your daughter to such deadly poisonous spiders! They like to drop down out of the trees and land on your head or neck and bite, bite, bite. That's why I won't ever go outside again!

Anonymous said...

i havent even had a chance to read the words...but that is DISGUSTING!!!! ttyl

Tim and Amy said...

love it! not sure why jill won't take sage out... but I love that you could tell when she saw them! she's too cute... and you're a GREAT dad

Anonymous said...

where to start...wow..umm i'm GLAD sage was trembling at least a LIL bit..makes me and jill feel better! haha...that is ABSOLUTELY creepy & i'm NOT sure i'll be able to sleep tonight !! lol...good luck with making her brave to EVERYTHING...shes quite the lil girl..but remember shes got mamas jeans too...and SHOULD be afraid of spiders too :D (that is...IF i taught her ANYTHING...)

Anonymous said...

Wow! Crazy! Go Sage!! I probably wouldn't want to do that.