Wednesday, April 12, 2006

So I’ve been a little underground lately. Flying under the radar I like to call it. You know, when you get all quiet and not talking to anyone, like when I used to be a secret agent for the research and development division of the porta-john company. Those were the days…flowered shirts, flip-flops, blue-blockers…I had it all.

So anyway, I haven’t really had the time to be writing blogs and stuff because (unlike the R&D job, I can tell you about this stuff) I’ve been working really hard on the house. So far I have ripped out carpet, scraped old dried up foam padding off the floor, sanded and stained and finished the hidden hardwood beauties that were there all the time, and built a bed out of old doors. All this took place I think in about a week and a half maybe. I know that doesn’t account for the total time of my absence but that's what has been taking up the majority of my energy, both thought and action…but worth it all so far. Not that writing here is not worth it or just as (if not more, sorry Jill) important to my sanity and completing the spectrum of balance in my surroundings…what the…? Hold on to your Guru, what am I talking about?

Sorry about that one. But you know, you guys are important to me too and it’s important to me to tell you what’s happening. And I honestly do feel anxious and incomplete when things are happening and I don’t come out here (I’m not going to ‘come out’ here, if that’s what you’re thinking) and tell you about them, even though I feel neglected at times due to the lack of responses at times, I still know you are all (both) out there eagerly awaiting the next droplet of spectacular if interesting text to fall from the keys of my laptop here in Grand Rapids.

I’ve gotten plenty of projects completed or started with intent to finish since the weather turned warm. Besides the aforementioned projects, we have painted a room, started the yard (a daunting task, I might add) and painted a steel bed we got when we hit the jackpot at a couple of sales in the area.

We found one in Allendale where everything was going to be demolished so the lady was pretty much giving stuff away. Old doors for $1, a wooden window screen for free, an old galvanized washtub for free, and I even got an old machinist’s tool chest for $7. I found a big wooden White House Coffee crate--$1. Just random how in Arizona we’d have paid (or NOT paid) a few hundred dollars for the stuff we got for $20 that day.

So anyway, the quest continues for fixing up the Roys Avenue place so we can have an enjoyable summer here in west Michigan. Looking forward to the weather and it is warming up nicely here. Rain and sunshine both today, really helps the grass grow and fortunately I got the winter mess all raked up and out of the way. I think I’m going to make a compost bin and use it for our garden this and/or next summer. Lots on our plate and we are just getting started so keep your eyes peeled (love that CB lingo from the 70’s--thanks mom) for more posts on our progress and adventures.

By the way, it’s scheduled to hit 95 in the valley this week? No thanks! 70s here and LOVING IT! Windows open at night…ahhh…good ole Michigan weather.

Be nice to each other!

Sorry for no pictures, check back soon though.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely loving the update. Can't wait to come out & see MI first hand. Sounds like you're having a good ol' time working on the house! I'm so glad you guys are making it your own. Can't wait to see pics of the house.... AND SEE IT IN 2 WKS!!!

Keep enjoying the gorgeous weather.

Anonymous said...

you have been working SOOOOOO hard! i LOVE the floors! you're doing such a wonderful job with everything! :)

love, me

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the house is going to be pretty sweet when you're through with it! Thanks for finally posting! I check every day at work...each day bringing more and more disappointment!

Anonymous said...

Gee Jim...no more vacations okay...almost gave up checking. You've obviously got 5 people checking up on your blog. Can't wait to see the floors. I'm so excited to have a scrapbook room to sleep in when I come and visit this summer!!

Anonymous said...

I'm here 'checking back soon' for pictures. And NADA... I know I'll be there soon ... BUT DEFINITELY post pics from your birthday! AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOMORROW! :o)

Anonymous said...

rub in the weather jim...geez..:D haha...i hope i get to see pictures of all these projects you finish jim...

Anonymous said...

ok jim...i know for a fact that i'm not the only one waiting for your next bit here...please don't keep us waiting much longer...

love, me