Monday, February 13, 2006


Well, I am a guy. I've never posted on a blog before but since my wife started hers, I thought it would be at least interesting to have something to do every day here too. Those of you who know Jill, don't expect the talent and beauty to abound here, unless she lends it to me, that is.

I enjoy my family, the outdoors, music, and laughing. I love it when they all come together too, meaning I love laughing outdoors with my family, such as camping, hiking and just spending time in places like the beach or the woods.

Jill and my daughter Sage lived their entire lives in Arizona until we decided to take a job here in Michigan where I lived 28 of my last 34 years. The move was hectic and things are finally settling down now although Jill is adjusting to life without her life long friends and her family.
I, on the other hand, am adaptive enough and have family and friends here so outside of sympathy pains for Jill, the move has been great for me. My new job is incredible. I work for my brother as a dispatcher/multi-purpose-employee at a specialized heavy hauling trucking company.

I love music. All kinds. Even though I'm not that great at making it, I am somewhat talented, but either way, I love it. I love being around it, hearing it, making it, watching it being made, and so on.


Right off the bat let me just say that I do not proclaim to be a professional or any type of authority on ANYTHING. Any opinions found in this blog are strictly mine as the way I view and perceive things in the world around me. I do, however, appreciate and welcome your thoughts on what I write as I am always open to learning new things and new places to discover things.

Having said that I would like to talk about my favorite recording artist Neil Young. This blog is not going to be about Neil Young but I know that his name will be found on any entry on any given day as he has created music and other things that have affected my life for the better. Check out his interview in last month’s Rolling Stone.

It amazes me how he writes music that draws pictures and then I read or hear him say that he doesn't really know what he writes about or gives some vague response in an interview. Not that I need to know how any artist creates what they do but he truly does amaze me.

And then there is how he performs. How does he do that? I remember the first time I saw him play a song, I can't remember which one in particular, and it was a complex riff that he happened to be playing. When they showed his hands on the guitar he was just strumming. It sounded like he was picking but there he was just strumming and somehow magically picking out the right strings. I am not a great guitar player but I have played the guitar since about '92 and I have no idea how he does this. He's real.

Now I don't want to leave this post like some Neil Young fanatic. I just appreciate people and things like him in this world. I honestly don't know what this blog will be about. I just want to put my thoughts down here and even some of what I see and feel. If you don't like my blog or if it offends you or you think it's stupid, please post your comments and then check back later, it's bound to get worse. If you leave an email address, I will respond.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

GREAT picture!

Totally looking forward to your writing & won't come back if I'm offended.... Loved your comment on that--(come back & it might be worse!)

You're awesome & I'm so glad you are happy with the move to MI!

Anonymous said...

Jim, can't wait to read your witty antics and hilarious comments ...you always have something profound or pretty good to say, I guess! Just teasing you! Neil Young is an awesome artist, I remeber being in jr. high or early high school and my brother begging for the cd that talks about getting stoned, needless to say, mom was pretty worried about the lyrics (just so you know, I'm horrible at remembering song titles and artists, I don't have enough brain power these days to sustain knowledge I don't use daily, that's how bad it is!) Keep writing!!

Anonymous said...

Jim! What an inspiration you are! We look forward to your guidance in the future!

Anonymous said...

You're AWESOME!!! Can't wait to read more!

Anonymous said...

jim... i've waited for this day...i have never read very much of your writing...but i'm SO very anxious for more! :) you are amazing...just like jill!

Anonymous said...

OK, I was reading comments and noticed not one from Jim's first family. So here goes... You are a hilarious and wonderfully talented baby brother and it's been great seeing you in 'action' as a daddy and husband. I'm glad you're back!

Jilly Bean

Anonymous said...

Well, so you have now entered the world of blogs, to torture and to record! I loved peeking into your mind and wandering around the smells and clock works and all... these are things that warm my heart when I remember you are my son and some of what you like and who you are can be attributed to my interference in your life... I love you, and I am proud you take the time to document your thoughts and feelings and dare enough to share them with the rest of the world!
Nina in Carolina
RivendellCabin.com